Site Losing Rankings?
Steps You Can Take When Your Site Loses Rankings
Perhaps you’ve been there. You get out of bed one morning and you can’t find your site in its customary high first page ranking in Google. You look in vain through page 1, 2, 3 and 4. Then you find it, on page 5, pretty much nonexistent so far as web traffic goes.
Before doing anything radical and bloody, we’d like to offer you some sensible steps to take that can minimize the freefall your pages may be in.
Changes in ranking happen daily, but significant shifts as a result of an algorithm change are more dramatic, and can wreak havoc. While this is not at all within our control, take a peek at these 5 ways you can help control the damage.
5 Strategies to minimize a drop in rankings
- Have a site and rankings monitor in place – It’s a very smart idea to have your site’s search engine position monitored, so you can not only see when there is a huge problem, but also the trends taking place all the time with your rankings. There is no substitute for this kind of intelligence.
- Plug into social media more – There is a vast audience out there you can turn to for help with traffic and links, and this is social media. While it may be harder in some ways to convert this traffic, the mere fact that’s coming is a sign that your pages are still relevant, and this matters to Google.
- Look at your Google Webmaster Tools – This is a valuable resource that can help you spot penalties and SEO issues quickly. If you are not signed up for this, avail yourself of it immediately. It’s free and is packed with useful help.
- Look into your SEO – when there are ranking problems, it’s always wise to look in the mirror first. See what if any SEO issues there are in your pages, such as missing title tags, descriptions, alt tags, flash and some of the other 200 or so ranking factors. Like it or not, these issues are part of how Google ranks you pages.
- Produce more content and links – Make it your mission to carry on and create good content and incoming backlinks. It might be a good idea to expand your topic and keyword profile here, while still remaining relevant, to see if these pages begin to rank well.
p.s. Sign up today for “The Strategist” Newsletter to be empowered with the latest marketing tactics, solutions and strategies including strategies to improve your Google rankings.